Medical Massage for Postural Dysfunction
9:00AM – 4:00PM
CE Hours: 6
Instructor: Erin Hughes, PT, LMT
This course will teach the massage professional about postural conditions involving the spine so they may successfully treat a client referred by a health care provider. Relevant anatomy and muscle imbalances of the spine will be covered, as well as an explanation of the benefits as well as the potential massage limitations or contraindications for each condition. Students will review how to perform a basic postural assessment so they can identify postural faults and successfully apply massage techniques to ease postural deviations. Upon completion, the student will have the confidence and skill to provide relief from the symptoms most commonly experienced by clients suffering from the discomfort arising from postural dysfunction.
– Identify the anatomical structures (bony landmarks and muscles) as they apply to postural analysis.
– Perform and understand a basic posture assessment using observations from the anterior, posterior, and lateral directions.
– Understand the typical signs and symptoms of postural dysfunction.
– Understand the benefits of good posture and how posture affects overall health.
– Recognize the factors that can potentially affect postural alignment including muscle imbalances throughout the body.
– Understand the indications for using medical massage protocols, as well as the potential contraindications for massage application for each postural condition.
– Choose the proper massage techniques in relation to the client’s postural faults and presenting complaints.
– Determine the efficacy of the medical massage treatment provided for postural deviations and be able to recognize when referral of a client to another health care provider is necessary.
Examples of conditions to be discussed in this course include: Scoliosis, Kyphosis, Hyperlordosis (Swayback), Flat back, Forward head/rounded shoulders posture
This course is part of the Medical Massage of the Spine and for Postural Dysfunction Certificate program